Friday, November 1, 2013

Quarter in review

Friday afternoon! Oh where do I begin with the last couple weeks? Couple things went on that I didn't write about last week.

So my 5k was LAST Saturday that I ran. A few weeks prior I had seen that they were auditioning people to sing the national anthem for the event and thinking that sounded like fun, I recorded myself (I used to sing a lot for games back in high school) and I sent it in. Well about 3 days before Saturday, I got an e-mail back asking if I would sing. Haha, and so I did. It went pretty well. Although I hadn't done it in so long (and in front of a LOT of people) that I got pretty nervous. Then I ran the 5k.



It was a color run, so I got completely covered in colored corn-starch-based powder. While it was super fun, I don't think I will be doing any more. My lungs have been acting a little asthmatic lately to begin with and all that colored powder in the air aggravated everything. I was coughing the whole way driving home and still even when I got home, still found it a little hard to breathe! But it was still fun and I got to do it with a lot of my class mates.

Then this week was our last week of classes! Today we started with an in class lab exam where we had to watch around 11 different videos and analyze them and answer questions about each video. It was pretty tricky, especially since we could only watch each video twice with no repeats. The questions weren't exactly easy either, but I feel that it went OK for the most part.

Then our final lab proficiency was this afternoon. 10 of us come in at a time (we are assigned times) and are graded on how we perform each of the tests on a class mate that we had learned throughout the quarter. We had 20 minutes to do a case history on them, meaning introducing ourselves, asking them what they're seeing us for, their past medical history, blah blah blah. I didn't count, but I probably had around at least 30 different questions I had to remember to ask without having any paper to look off of.

I had to take the person's blood pressure (which is so great since we're all so nervous today and our BP is high), test their visual acuities (if they can see 20/20 or not) for far away and for up close. Then we had a special book with glasses that tests 3D vision, a few cover tests to determine how the person's eyes are aligned (which I think I described in my last post), a test to see how close we can bring a target to someone's face before it splits into two, testing the eye muscles and knowing what muscles are working where, testing visual fields (or the person's side vision), and finally testing pupils to look for appropriate constriction/dilation to light and no light and then measure the person's pupillary distance (or how far apart their eyes are). Alll of that in 20 minutes or less.

Mine actually went really well (my blood pressure was borderline Stage 1 hypertension because I was nervous today, haha). I'm almost positive I didn't miss any major points and was able to correctly identify almost everything. Such a relief to have it all done though!

So now! All that is left is 3 more finals next week: one Monday, one Tuesday, one Wednesday and then we are officially on break. I plan on heading back to Holbrook and spend some time with my parents as well as the dog and the cat :)

Last but not least, one of my classmates, who is now our historian, put this together for us. It has videos and pictures from the start of the quarter up until now of all of us. We all thought it was great! She only had it posted to facebook, so I screen captured it on my computer and added just a couple comments explaining some things in the video.

Enjoy!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMdqiAhAoeU&feature=youtu.be 







No comments:

Post a Comment